You have been redirected from our partners at If you need help paying your gas and light bills, you are in the right place!

Get CEDA Services

Gas and Electric Bill Assistance

We partner with the state of Illinois to help you pay for your gas and electric bills through the LIHEAP. See below to learn how to apply today.

What is it?

Our Gas and Electric Assistance program (also called LIHEAP) keeps the lights on and the gas running for households who are behind on their payments. LIHEAP can help to take some financial away and keep utilities running.

How does it help?

ONE TIME BENEFIT provided toward your gas and electric bills.

BUDGET BILLING PLAN to lower your monthly payments.

RECONNECTION ASSISTANCE to help get your utilities turned back on after disconnection.

Do I Qualify?

To qualify, you must meet the income guidelines listed below.

Income Guidelines
Income Eligibility Guidelines (Gross Income) *
Family Size 30 Days
1 $2,147.00
2 $2,903.00
3 $3,660.00
4 $4,417.00
5 $5,173.00
6 $5,930.00
7 $6,590.00
8 $6,737.00

Additional help is available through the Peoples Gas Share the Warmth and ComEd Residential Hardship programs. Learn More

What Do I Need to Do?

First, make sure your qualify based on the below income guidelines.

Income Guidelines
Income Eligibility Guidelines (Gross Income) *
Family Size 30 Days
1 $2,147.00
2 $2,903.00
3 $3,660.00
4 $4,417.00
5 $5,173.00
6 $5,930.00
7 $6,590.00
8 $6,737.00

Next, get together the documents listed below.

Documents Needed

PROOF OF 30-DAY GROSS INCOME for every household member ages 18 and older (Wages, Social Security Benefits, TANF, AABD, Unemployment, proof of cash wages, etc.). These documents must be for the 30 days prior to your application date.

INCOME FOR CHILDREN who receive child support or Social Security Benefits.

PROOF OF SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS of all household members.* For proof of Social Security or Supplemental Security income benefits go to for an instant letter.

CURRENT HEAT AND ELECTRIC BILLS. Please provide the entire bill.

IF UTILITIES ARE INCLUDED IN YOUR RENT we need proof of rental agreement stating monthly rental amount, that utilities are included, and landlord contact information. (Rent costs must be greater than 30% of current household 30-day gross income)

Sometimes our Team may ask for additional documents, depending on your living, working, and financial situation. Our team will reach out to let you know if this applied to you.

*If you or a member of your household does not have a Social Security number, please call our help line at 800-571-2332 (CEDA).

You’re ready to pre-apply! There are two ways to pre-apply; online or through one of our partner intake sites. If you need help, you can find a step-by-step guide below or you can call us at 800-571-2332 (CEDA). We’re open Monday-Friday from 8:30 AM – 7:00 PM.


You will receive a confirmation letter in the mail within 2-3 weeks with instructions on how submit your documents to complete Step 2 of your application. If you provided an email address on your pre-application, you will also receive a confirmation email with these instructions. Please be sure to check your spam/junk email folder.

Pre-Application Step-By-Step Instructions

Is this request due to the COVID-19 crisis?
If your household income has been impacted by COVID-19 or the lockdown, check this box.

Assistance Being Requested
Select the box that says “Utility Bill Assistance”, as well as any other category you need help with.

Are there other services you need?
Use the dropdown menu to select “No” or “Yes”. If you select “Yes”, then a new list of categories will appear. Select any additional items you need.

Information on Household Members: Head of Household
If possible, fill out this information for the person the utility bills are under. If you are filling out the pre-application on behalf of someone else, include your information in this section.

Additional Household Member(s) (if applicable)
To add a new household member, click the checkboxes and fill in the information that appears. Be sure to list all household members, including children. Income eligibility is based on how many people live at the address, so leaving someone off could impact whether or not you qualify for LIHEAP.

Service Address
List your address as it appears on your gas and light bills. If your mailing address is different than your service address, check the box that says “Mailing Address (if different from Street Address)”. This step is important, so we can send you important program information by mail.

Household Information
Use the drop down menu to tell us if you own or rent your home.

Primary Utility Information
You can list either your gas or light provider here. Using the information on your gas or light bill, fill out this section.

Secondary Utility Information
If you need help with a second bill, use the drop down menu to select “Yes”. Fill in the information using your gas or light bill.

Send me a copy of my responses
We highly recommend checking this box if you have an email address, so you can keep a copy of your pre-application for your records.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I apply if I am undocumented?

Yes, you can apply for LIHEAP without citizenship. Please call a partner intake site for more information.

Can I apply on behalf of a loved one?

Yes! You can apply by phone, online, or in-person on behalf of someone else.

Can renters apply for gas and light assistance?

Renters are welcome to apply for our services.

When will I get my application ID after I fill out the pre-application?

Your application ID will arrive via email within 48-hours. If you did not provide an email address, you will get a letter in the mail within two weeks.

What do I do if I don't have my application ID?

We’re here to help! Please call (800) 571-2332 (CEDA).

If I am unemployed, how do I submit proof of income?

You will need to submit a form called a “zero income affidavit”. You can download that form from your confirmation email. You can also call a partner intake site or a CEDA technician at (800) 571-2332 (CEDA).

What do I need to submit if I am self-employed, a ride share driver, etc.?

We need to see your ledger, ride receipts, and/or PayPal statement. If you have any questions about what documents you need to send, please email [email protected] or give us a call at (800) 571-2332 (CEDA).

How do I check my application status?

You can check your application status any time here:

How often can I apply for LIHEAP?

LIHEAP can make a payment directly to your utility company once every program year. Our upcoming program starts on September 1, 2021. If you got a benefit this past year, you can submit a new application then.

In addition, we offer Reconnection Assistance to anyone, even if they’ve already gotten a LIHEAP benefit. If you are facing disconnection, please submit another application or call us so we can help.

How do I get help with my water bill?

If you live in the City of Chicago, you can apply for the Utility Billing Relief program. This program can lower your monthly payment and provides debt forgiveness. Learn More

If you live in suburban Cook County, our FsACE program can help. Learn More

What other help is available?

Our partner intake sites can also help you enroll in ComEd’s Residential Hardship Program or the Peoples Gas Share the Warmth program.

More Gas and Electric Assistance

Peoples Gas: Share the Warmth

You may be eligible for other programs

Please review our “Find Services” page to learn more.