Utility Billing Relief (UBR) will provide low-income Chicago residents with a reduced rate on their water, sewer, and water-sewer taxes, as well as debt relief for those who demonstrate they can manage the reduced rate bills for one year.
Benefits for UBR participants include:
- Reduced rates on water, sewer, and utility tax
- No late payment penalties or debt collection activity including water-shut off
- Debt forgiveness after successfully completing one year with no accrued balance
Households must complete an application with CEDA to determine that they meet the program’s income guideline and their premises is eligible. Upon enrollment, customers will receive a letter confirming their enrollment for a 12-month program period and detailing the changes they should see on their bill.
How to apply:
- Please review “Important Information to Know Before You Apply” for the income eligibility guidelines and documentation requirements.
- Find a site near you using our Site Locator to schedule an appointment to remotely complete applications for both LIHEAP and UBR, or UBR alone. The intake worker can also help you explore other programs and benefits your household may be eligible for.
- Contact one of our Partner Intake Sites to schedule an appointment today. Please ensure that you schedule an appointment with a site that is offering UBR.
For future UBR updates, text WATERBILL to 313131